07 May 2011

A movie about Abe Lincoln

So for those that may not know, Stephen Spielberg is going to be doing a movie based on the life of our 16th President, Abraham Lincoln.  Now I am a tad on the excited side as Lincoln is one of several presidents I have an interest in.  Oh, I got the following information from this site.  Anyway, lets talk casting.


Daniel Day-Lewis as Abraham Lincoln.  Yes please.  This will be amazing.  I had heard at one point Liam Neeson was to play the president, but I think Mr. Day-Lewis is the better choice.


Sally Field as Mary Todd Lincoln.  I can buy this.


Joseph Gordon-Levitt as Robert Todd Lincoln  This works too.  


And my personal favorite


Tommy Lee Jones as Thaddeus Stephens.  Stephens was a great power in Congress during the Civil War, and if you look at a pic of him, Mr. Jones does bear a resemblance.


Clearly, we know how the film will end, but I am curious as to how much of the movie will cover the Civil War.  I'm guessing a good chunk of it, but I think it will show us more the political side of the war than battles.  Other casting notes include Bruce McGill (who I think might play Grant), Hal Holbrook and John Hawkes (who would be my choice for John Wilkes Booth).  But that brings another question in how much post assassination will the movie cover?  Regardless, this is one film I will be keeping a very close eye on.

No comments:

Post a Comment