01 April 2011

X-Men: The Last Stand (2006)

Logan: Control?  You know, sometimes when you cage the beast, the beast gets angry.


And here we are.  One of the more divisive movies I know, people either love it or hate it.  The end of X2 set us up rather nicely for a telling of the Dark Phoenix story.  And we did get a telling of that story.  Just not the one that is from the comics as I understand.


See, I've never really been into the X-Men comics. So I had very little invested in the movies.  With one exception.  Portions of this movie was taken from the Joss Whedon penned Astonishing X-Men.  And they treated that material well.


Dark Phoenix however...


I dunno.  It felt forced.  Killing off Cyclops was... pointless?  Plot device?  Apparently Professor X did some mind control on Jean to protect her from herself.  She's crazy powerful.  And then the Phoenix cam through and wanted to tear things up.  So naturally she kills Prof. X and joins with Magneto.


BTW, there is also a mutant cure.  Which Rouge takes.  And then sits back on the bench, cause, ya know she had nothing else to do in this movie.  Magneto wants to (again) destroy all humans!  The X-Men (again) want to stop him.


And here we are on Alcatraz Island.  Probably one of my favorite battle scenes.  On one side we have a shit ton of the Brotherhood of Mutants.  On the other, puny humans and some X-Men.  Storm, Wolverine, Colossus, Iceman (who totally goes full ice!), Beast, Kitty Pride.  And that's it.  Intense battle ensues.


In the end, Magneto is 'cured', Professor X is 'alive' and Jean Grey is dead.  I like the movie.  Like I said, its got some good action pieces, including a part in the danger room against a Sentinel.


I look forward to X-Men: First Class.  This was a nice end to the trilogy.  I know its not without issues, but what movie is truly perfect?

No comments:

Post a Comment