04 January 2011

Leave Huck Finn Alone!!!!!

Huck Finn Word Replacement

So, I'm sitting here enjoying a quiet evening watching Hawaii Five-O, when I received a phone call from my mother, who had a piece of information.  Apparently, some Twain scholar decided that race needed to be expressed differently in the 21st century.  As such, he has taken it upon himself to change the 200+ 'n' words with 'slave', and to take out the word 'injun' as well.  Really?  Are we as a culture really that screwed up that we need to have things sugar coated for us?  I think not.  With proper discussions in classes you can still teach to the original un-modified text.  Explain to your students about the context of the words, and the period that it was written in.  Huck Finn is a timeless piece of work, that does not deserve to be messed with.  Really, what's next?  Changing Winston Zedemore's line in Ghostubsters: "I've seen shit that will turn you white." to "I've seen shit that will turn you paler than your base skin tone?"

People in this country ( or any country ) that advocate the banning or editing the books that offend them, need to get the stick out of their asses.  You want to ban or edit a book?  Take a look at the Bible.

P.S.  I don't mean any disrespect to the Bible; it was just the best analogy I had.

No comments:

Post a Comment