09 January 2011

Hot Shots! (1991)

Today, I review Hot Shots!  Among others, it starts Charlie sheen and Jon Cryer.  For our younger audience you will know them from the unexplainable hit show, Two and a Half Men, in which I maintain that Charlie Sheen plays the half a man.... but that has nothing to do with this review.

In short, its Top Gun for the parody fans.

Ok, I can't really review this film.  Every time I try and think of an intelligent commentary for this film, I just start running quotes through my head.

Like this one:
Lt. Cmdr. Block:;Topper Harley?
Topper Harley: Once perhaps. Now I am called Tooka Chinchilla.
Lt. Cmdr. Block:What does it mean?
Topper Harley:Fluffy Bunny Feet.

Or this one:

Topper Harley: That is the whitest white part of the eye I've ever seen. Do you floss?

And lets not forget some of the gems spoken by Lloyd Bridges:

Adm. Benson: I've personally flown over a hundred-ninety-four missions and I was shot down every one. Come to think of it, I've never landed a plane in my life.

Admiral Benson: I slipped on a crab. Who put that crab there?
Lt. Commander Block: I don't see any crab, sir.
Admiral Benson: Don't tell me. There were two crabs. They work in pairs. I went to Annapolis for chrissakes!

In short, this is a great movie for those who love parody.  I could keep going, but lets be honest, it would just be a quote fest.  Watch it.  Know it.  Love it.  Quote it.

In closing,

Topper Harley: Those are some long legs...
Ramada Thompson: I just had them lengthened. Now they go all the way up.

1 comment: