05 March 2011

Mortal Kombat (1995)

Shang Tsung: Flawless victory!


It is with great geeky glee I write this review.


I never really played the games as much as some of my friends, but when I heard about this movie, I remember being quite excited for it.


In short, this movie is based on the video game franchise of the same name.  Several of Earth's heroes (Liu Kang, Sonya Blade, Johnny Cage) are persuaded, tricked and trapped into going to the realm of Shang Tsung, a real bad ass sorcerer.  But, good for the Earth Realm peeps, they have the Thunder God Raiden along to help them out as he can.  In the end, the Earth heroes defeat Goro, Kano, Sub-Zero, Scorpion, Reptile and Shang Tsung to protect Earth Realm.  Oh, did I mention that if they lost, that would mean 10 straight victories for Shang Tsung?  Yup, after 10 straight victories that means our world is toasty.  However, all is not well as at the end of the movie, the Emperor Shao Khan appears, and challenges the victory, shall we say.


This was a very well done movie.  Plot, pacing and cinematography are awesome.  Cast is nothing special, with the exception of Christopher Lambert as Raiden.  Also, it seems that Cameron Diaz was originally cast as Sonya Blade.  I read this before I watched the movie, and tried picturing Ms. Diaz in the role.  Wasn't working for me, so I'm glad she ended up not filming the part.


Of course, this spawned a sequel, but that is for a different time.


I give this 4/5 fatalities.

No comments:

Post a Comment