01 August 2011

Warbreaker by Brandon Sanderson

I first heard of Brandon Sanderson when he was tapped to completed the Wheel of Time after Robert Jordan passed.  At first, I was going to avoid Mr. Sanderson's own works until after he completed Wheel of Time.


I'm glad I decided to not wait that long.


Warbreaker, being a fantasy novel does employ a system of magic.  In this case, its called BioChromatic Breath.  As in, to make an object do your bidding you breathe into it.  Ya, it is a bit more complex than that, but that's the general idea.


Breath's can be bought, sold, and given to others.  The more you have, the stronger you are and the more you can do.  Careful though, as you can run out.


So, overall I really enjoyed this book.  Had some pretty neat twists, and the various uses of the BioChromatic breath was interesting.  It took me a bit to get into, but once the pace picked up, the book took off.  Its a standalone book, and the ending is an ending.  Its not ambiguous or vague.


I have yet to read any of Mr. Sanderson's works, but  this is an author whose works I will continue to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment