04 August 2011

Bag of Bones - The TV Special?

So somehow, this one passed me by.  One of my favorite Stephen King books, Bag of Bones, is apparantly being made into a TV miniseries.  I first heard of this when I was perusing the Twitter feed of Ro_Karen, who in turn had re-tweeted a picture of Annabeth Gish that she (Gish) had taken from the shooting location of Bag of Bones.


Follow all that?


While I am excited by the fact that this fine book will be filmed, I'm (at the moment) less than excited about two factors.


1 - TV Miniseries.  Green Mile proved that a long form King based screenplay works.  So why regulate this to the TV?  It would work great on the big screen.


2 - Pierce Brosnan.  I'm not sure he's the best choice.  When I read the book, I get the feel that the main character, Mike Noonan is in his late 30s, maybe early 40s.  Mr. Brosnan is close to 60.  This may work; but I feel that the age of the main character is important to the story.


I guess the one upshot is that it will be on A&E.  So, not broadcast, but not premium either.  I guess I would like to see on King book get the full premium cable or film treatment.  While not as intense as The Stand or IT, Bag of Bones still deserves a shot at the big screen.


Either way, I'll be watching it.


Stephen King - Bag of Bones TV page



No comments:

Post a Comment