11 November 2010

Remakes Everywhere - Special Edition

EXTRA! EXTRA! Read all about it!

So, as you may or may not know, we are being treated to a Spider-Man reboot a mere 10 years (8 as of this writing) after the original starring Toby Maguire (no relation to Jerry).

THIS is the problem I have with re-makes and re-boots.  10 years, and you are already looking on remaking the original?  Absurd!  Vile!  NN!  NN? Really?  Maybe not....

Lets think about this.  Marvel has recently been going gung ho in tying its movie properties together.  (See Iron Man, Hulk, Thor, Avengers, Capitan America).  So for the sake of argument I am going to say that this is their attempt to tie Spider-Man into the new movie universe.  Which would be awesome considering at one point Spider-Man was a member of the Avengers.  So, from that viewpoint it makes sense.  As well as how it makes sense for them to tell an origin story for the X-Men.  But that's for a different post.

Now I'd like to address the casting so far.

I don't really know anything about the actors playing Peter Parker or Gwen Stacy.  Its the other three I am interested in.

1 - Sally Field as Aunt May.  An interesting choice.  Not an actress I would have ever thought to see in a super hero movie.

2 - Martin Sheen as Uncle Ben.  Now this choice made me sit up and pay attention.  I'm a big fan of, well pretty much the whole Sheen/Estevez family.  At this point I went, 'damn, they got a heavyweight to star'.  Especially with what happens to Uncle Ben.  The I remembered that Sir Anthony Hopkins is playing Odin in Thor, and this was no longer strange

3 - Some guy playing Dr. Curt Conners aka The Lizard.  About fracking time!!!!!  Stupid Sony only dangled this fruit in front of us for three movies, and I'd like to see how they manage to make this a believable villain.

So, I know this was rambling, not really having a point.  That said, I am now interested in what a reboot of a series that is not even a teenager has to offer us.

No comments:

Post a Comment