07 October 2010

Musings on an Eater....

As I sit here watching the latest episode of the Travel Channel show Man V. Food, I can't help but to feel, well, a bit concerned that this show may be giving people the wrong idea about food.

A few disclaimers...
  1. This is not coming from somebody in any kind of shape.
  2. I like food.
  3. I understand the point of the show is not nessecarily the food, but the people and places


Now that we have that out of the way...

My 'concerns' if you will stem from the quantity challenges. We are a nation consumed and obsessed with the idea of people being obese, not eating well and the like. Watch any episode of Man V. Food, and you will see all sorts of un-healthy, yet amazingly delicious meals......

Ok, I can't write this with a straight face. Who cares if its not the most healthy thing in the world? The host has a passion for meeting people and learning the local cuisines. In the end, he does an equal number of spice ( and I have a co-worker who completed one) and quantity challenges. Each episode is an exploration of a little corner of the country you may not get to. Or you can be like me and use the show as a source of ideas for places to eat when I travel. So screw it if he heats a 7 dish Italian dinner in one city, and a 72 oz steak in another. He has fun doing it, and I have fun watching his adventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment