17 July 2011

Star Trek: The Motion Picture (1979)

Commander Spock: Any show of resistance would be futile, Captain.


A film that has divided many a Star Trek fan, this is the film that brought Kirk and company to the big screen.


Now, this is only the third time I've seen this movie.  Can you believe that?  I can even remember all the times I've seen it.  But I digress.


I'm not going to bury the lead.  I enjoyed this far more than I ever did the last two times I watched it.


That being said, there is at least one thing about this movie that makes me want to gouge my eyes out.


Those fucking uniforms.


Those of you who have seen it know of what I speak.  Those of you that haven't... I envy you.


Otherwise, this movie holds up better than I expected.  The music and visual effects were well done.  Plot wise, it starts strong, but ends a bit weaker than I would have liked.


Short synopsis:
Kirk wants the Enterprise back to stop a threat to all of Earth in the form of V'ger.  He gets the Enterprise back, and saves the day.  Anyone surprised by this?


While this is not a movie to be used to introduce one to Star Trek, I think that it is required viewing for any serious fan.  It contains elements of the failed Star Trek: Phase II tv show, and really, just whets our appetite for Star Trek II.

4 comments:

  1. I like this movie as well, but the thing that gets me more is that it tries to be 2001: A Space Odyssey in it's form, and I'm not a fan of that movie. They could have been less "epic" in their grandness, less time spent staring at the outside of machines with dramatic music playing, and still gotten the point across. And it could have been about 30 minutes shorter that way. Otherwise, it's a good move.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a well documented apologist for TMP, although I was one of its strongest detractors when it came out. If you haven't yet, give a listen to the director's commentary on the special edition. It's a miracle the film made it to theatres at all. Robert Wise hand carried a still wet print to the premier, and never had a chance to see most of the visual effects shots before being forced to release the film on time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. While the fly-by of the Enterprise seems gratuitous, keep in mind that this is the first time we've seen Enterprise since the series was canceled in 1969, and the first time ever on the big screen. For older people like me that grew up watching TOS, this was a really big deal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Elizabeth: I agree. Though, I've never seen 2001, what I know of it I can absolutely see how TMP tries to be 2001.

    @Marius: Hmm... I'll have to seek that commentary out as I don't think my edition has it. They really lucked out on the visual effects, IMO. I think they hold up really well.

    @Scott: I like the fly by of the Enterprise. I was going to compare this fly by to the one in Star Trek (2009), but I think I'm going to save it for that review.

    ReplyDelete