29 July 2011

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (Sweeden) (2009)

19. Watch 10 non-English language foreign films


So I recently read 'The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo.'  Fun fact, the original Sweedish title translates to 'Men Who Hate Women.'


But, I'll save further discussion on the book until I read the other two and do a post dedicated to the entire trilogy.


As there is an American version of the film coming out in December, and in an effort to remain as spoiler free as possible, this will be a short review.


Character Portrayals
I thought that Noomi Rapace (Lisbeth Salander) and Michael Nyqvist (Mikel Bloomkvist) played their respective parts really well.  The rest of the cast was good, but this movie clearly focused on these two characters.  I look forward to watching these two in the remaining movies in the trilogy.




Story
Stayed fairly close to the book, but the changes made were understandable.  Very tight 'locked room' style mystery.  I really enjoyed it.


I'm not sure that reading the book first is needed.  I think they are both similar enough and different enough that one can get equal enjoyment from them both.


And as a bonus, this fills the first spot on my quest to watch 10 non-English speaking films.  I already have three others lined up, the second two in this trilogy being two of them.



No comments:

Post a Comment