09 April 2012

The Hunger Games (2012)

So I went and saw The Hunger Games last week. Right off the bat, my wife who has no knowledge of the series really liked the movie, which is a sign at how well they handled it.


Oh... FYI, we may get spoilery here, so be warned.


So, I have read the book, my thoughts on which can be found here.  I thought that the movie was a pretty faithful adaptation.


Visually, the movie was amazing.  I thought they captured the look of Panem really well.  In particular, I thought the Capital looked spot on.  Casting was pretty good too.  I really liked Woody Harrelson as the mentor, Haymitch.  Elizabeth Banks was spot on as Effie Trinket.  Effie is an interesting character.  She so blindly buys into the world of the Capital, its painful.  This is most noticeable on the ride from District 12 to the Capital.


As for Katniss, I thought Jennifer Lawrence was spot on.  She fit the look perfectly, and she pulled off the role with ease.  Also of note was Lenny Kravitz as Cinna, her costume designer.  Not quite what I envisioned when I read the book, but very well done.


I was worried too with the violence.  Given its PG-13 rating, I was worried that it might have been toned down or avoided, but it was not.  So this made the battle scenes in teh Games themselves that much more exciting.


I liked it.  I know there are people who rage on and on about Battle Royale vs. Hunger Games.  Can't speak for Battle Royale, but everything is derivative of everything these days.  Judge each on their own merits.




































May the odds be ever in your favor.

No comments:

Post a Comment